Introduction 

Well, seeing as how my favorite spell in the entirety of Skyrim is the Whirlwind Cloak spell from the Dragonborn DLC, and because there doesn't seem to be much information about it across both UESP and TESW, I figured I'd compile a list of facts and info I've managed to find here. This Factbook will be updated whenever I come across new information about this truly unique spell.

Spell Acquisition 

The Whirlwind Cloak spell can be acquired after completing a radiant quest called Wind and Sand for quest-giver Neloth. The quest requires a Destruction skill level of 40 and the side quest Expirimental Subject to be completed. After fulfilling those requirements, the Wind and Sand quest may be offered to you by Neloth. It is a simple fetch quest that can take you to multiple locations. Upon completion of the quest, the spell tome for Whirlwind Cloak will be available for purchase from Talvas Fathryon

____________________________________________________________________________________

Whirlwind Cloak Facts 

• Whirlwind Cloak has a knockdown chance of 50%, and can be boosted to 75% if the player is a vampire with the Necromage perk purchased. 
  • The Cloak has its own damage type, referred as "Whirlwind Damage" in the game's coding. It deals only 2 dps, and is affected by an opponent's magic resistance/weakness, but the knockdown chance is not.
  • Dual-Casting Whirlwind Cloak increases its range, not damage or knockdown chance. Fortify Destruction potions also have this effect.
  • Whirlwind Cloak can be cast before transforming into a werewolf, and with the werewolf perks the player can become quite devastating. This also works with the Vampire Lord form.
  • The cloak can push enemies that are already knocked down, paralyzed, frozen by Ice Form, or encased in an Ash shell, however Ice Form and Ash shells will protect them from falling damage.
  • It can be active at the same time as Ebony Mail's poison cloak.
  • It can be active with the Dawnguard Rune Shield's cloak if it is cast before equipping the shield.
  • Everything that is immune to paralysis is also immune to this cloak, however the minuscule damage still applies.
  • Whirlwind cloak also has a tendency to toss around items lying around. (Unknown if patched)
  • The base magicka cost is 338, and is reduced by the Adept Destruction perk, or any cost-reducing gear.
  • The knockback effect is applied when an enemy enters the cloak's range, not while the enemy is already in its range.

Author's note: Feel free to add facts in the reply section! If I can confirm it works, it will likely go into this list, further expanding our knowledge of this spell.

Tags: Tips and Tricks Guides, Tips and Tricks Magic

Views: 5206

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like to know, if cloak spells work with werewolf form like you described, does it also work for vampire lords ? What I mean is if you cast the whirlwind cloak and then turn into vampire lord form, does it carry on like it does with the werewolf transformation ?

I would think it does. I haven't had much expierience with the vampire lord, but my understanding is that they can utilize all the cloak and flesh spells just like werewolves can. At least it should work the same. Thanks for pointing that out it seems I forgot about the vampire lords.
Can the knockback effect knock NPCs off cliffs/towers?
Yes.

Re-casting the Cloak automatically tosses any target back that is in the immediate range of the cloak when it is put up.

I have seen this stated before however (after hours upon hours of using this spell) I can definitively say that the toss is not automatic when you re-cast the spell, effectively re-casting doesn't do anything but restart the duration.

I play on Xbox 360 so other versions of the game may be different.

^This, I'm also on 360.

Hmm. interesting. I don't have the 360 version, so maybe it's either not automatic or has some kind of chance associated with it.

I know that specific one came from a source elsewhere - I know that one I didn't come up with on my own (this just happens to be one I haven't tested much,(same with the 'item throwing' one.) I don't remember exactly what happened its been years since I made this). But I went digging and unfortunately couldn't find it (apparently search engines pull up this page when looking for the spell. ).

Later today I'll have time to go on Skyrim and make sure for certain if this works or not.

Okay so I went and tested it, like you said it isn't flinging enemies away automatically when recast. I turned the difficulty all the way down and let my character get surrounded and cornered by some bandits, they were only flung away by exiting/entering the cloaks range.

I'll make changes to the list, thanks for catching that.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Todd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service